Sunday, February 12, 2012

Stu's Job

If I had to do The Magnificent Bastard's job, I might fare ok in the first round.  For the last few years, I think it's safe to say many people would have fared well, being as we were picking first overall.







The truth of that situation is that in this day, with the amount of information available on the internet, picking first and maybe even second overall should be easy for someone who takes the time to do some research - even if they never paid attention to hockey before.




Picking later than first or second overall is a different story.  I have basically just a computer and some extremely limited viewings (top prospects games, World Juniors, odd Memorial Cup game, odd Oil Kings Game) to help me make my evaluations.  I follow the rankings of some of the major scouts and scouting services and like to do some research into many of the top prospects.






Each year since 2007 when the Oilers have approached the podium, I have stated my opinion on who they should take and then watched the Oilers make that choice. I'm 5/5 on our first pick since '07 when we picked Gagner 6th, the first year I started following the draft closely.  Last year I experienced some success predicting which team would select which players in the early parts of the first round and I will try to build on that this year.






Before the draft I will post an updated list as well as a mock draft.  As promised, here is My Mid-Term Prospect Rankings. I hope you are somewhat familiar with the prospects whose names appear on this list.  If you are not, I apologise for the lack of description, but you may find some here, as Bob has them all ranked too.

1. Nail Yakupov - F
2. Ryan Murray - D
3. Mikhail Grigorenko - F
4. Griffin Reinhart - D
5. Mathew Dumba - D
6. Morgan Rielly - D
7. Filip Forsberg - F
8. Alex Galchenyuk - F
9. Derrick Pouliot - D
10. Jacob Trouba - D
11. Cody Ceci - D
12. Radek Faksa - F
13. Zemgus Girgensons - F
14. Brendan Gaunce - F
15. Olli Maatta - D
16. Brady Skjei - D
17. Damon Severson - D
18. Slater Koekkoek - D
19. Andrei Vasilevski - G
20. Martin Frk - F
21. Sebastian Collberg - F
22. Pontus Aberg - F
23. Thomas Wilson - F
24. Matt Finn - D
25. Malcolm Subban - G
26. Tanner Pearson - F
27. Tomas Hertl - F
28. Colton Sissons - F
29. Stefan Matteau - F
30. Ville Pokka - D
31. Jordan Schmaltz - D
32. Hampus Lindholm - D
33. Ludvig Bystrom - D
34. Dalton Thrower - D
35. Phillip Di Giuseppe - F
36. Teuvo Teravainen - F
37. Oscar Dansk - G
38. Brian Hart - F

No comments: