Friday, June 17, 2011

Skeleton Mock Draft

I don't even pretend to know where everyone will go in this years draft but have started with this skeleton base of knowledge.  If I really like a prospect in a place I'll bold them.  If I think there's a good chance but things might get in the way, I'll italicize them.  Here are some of my inklings:

1. Edmonton Oilers

Ryan Nugent Hopkins -  I think there is enough evidence present to be fairly sure here.  Larsson has an outside chance.

2. Colorado Avalanche

Landeskog or Larsson - I don't think Colorado will take Huberdeau.  Forsberg sold Colorado on swedes but they haven't had much opportunity to get quality Swedish help... until now.  A modern version of Sakic/Forsberg with Duchene/Landeskog might be too much to pass up.

3. Florida Panthers

I haven't got much of a read here. Florida needs help everywhere. Last year they took Gudbranson 3rd but have yet to sign him.  Is he available?  I wish I knew.  But don't count on Florida to blow the pick like they may have in years past.  Huberdeau would be likely I should think.

4. New Jersey Devils

Again, not quite sure.  Parise issues, Kovalchuck and lack of top end defense make murky waters here.  Who knows if they even keep the selection.  I've heard Larsson here a lot though.

5. New York Islanders

Another organization that needs help everywhere.  I think maybe they lean towards a defensemen if they consider need highest but the forwards available here are still probably the better options. Maybe Murphy or Huberdeau if he's available go here.

6. Ottawa Senators

Mika Zibanejad - assuming he has not been chosen yet, this is where I think he's going.

7. Winnipeg

No idea.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

They probably trade this pick.

9. Boston Bruins (via Toronto)

Nathan Beaulieu - Would make sense here for Boston.  Or maybe a winger for Seguin like Bartschi, but I think Boston is deeper up front so they'll lean towards the Blue.

10. Minnesota Wild

Mark McNeill - He's what they need.  If he's there I think they'll take him. Brandon Saad looks good here too.  Would they stretch and take Mario Lucia here, or risk a pick on Seth Ambrose?  They're from Minnesota.

11. Colorado Avalanche (via St. Louis)

Oskar Klefbom - This is the guy that has me leaning towards Landeskog being taken 2nd.  I think Colorado will take a pair of Swedish players in the first.  Maybe only Scott Mayfield could leave them waiting until the last second to decide. Darkhorse Nick Shore.

12. Carolina Hurricanes

I think they wanted Beaulieu.  Maybe a different d-man will do but unless he's there I don't know.  Maybe instead they'll take an American forward like Grimaldi or Saad.  Puck mover on the back end is what they want though I think.  Is Connor Murphy too much of a stretch?

13. Calgary Flames

Duncan Siemens - I think they wanted Mark McNeill (like almost 20 other teams will have) but they'll take a new Dion Phanuff.  Calgary will almost for sure take a WHL kid unless there is a top end talent still available.

14. Dallas Stars

An American forward.  Grimaldi or Saad would be good choices but they may take a Texas kid like Stefan Noesen or Colin Jacobs.

15. New York Rangers

Not sure at all. Is Shane Prince or Adam Clendening a stretch? Probably but with Prince maybe not.

16. Buffalo Sabres

A forward here too, I think. Matt Puempel's name should start coming up around here.

17. Montreal Canadiens

Help up front, I would imagine. How about Phillip Danault?

18. Chicago Blackhawks

Probably what ever guy we all think would be great for the Oilers and is still left over after Montreal will be swiped away.  I fear that 19 may be one pick too late.  Boone Jenner maybe.

19. Edmonton Oilers (via Los Angeles)

I think Joe Morrow would be a great fit here, more offense then Siemens I gather.  Hope he's available.

20. Phoenix Coyotes

Not Sure.

21. Ottawa Senators (via Nashville)

Don't really know.  I'll Guess maybe Zach Phillips.

22. Anaheim Ducks

An American forward I will guess.  How about Grimaldi or Matthew Nieto.

23. Pittsburgh Penguins

I think maybe Nicklas Jensen goes here if he's available. They want a goal scoring winger.  They would love to get Brandon Saad but I think he's gone by here. Highly rated Pennsylvania products Vincent Trocheck and John Gibson may be in the discussion.

24. Detroit Red Wings

Jonas Brodin - Detroit will make everyone look stupid for not taking him.

26. Washington Capitals

Alexander Khokhlachev - Is he a lock here?  I think it might be close. Maybe Dmitri Jaskin gives him a run for his money. Darkhorse Ricard Rakell.

27. Tampa Bay Lightning

Defense is a priority, but I also like Rocco Grimaldi here. Maybe he's already gone.

28. San Jose Sharks

Defense is a priority.

29. Vancouver Canucks

David Musil - If he's here still or Tyler Wotherspoon.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Philadelphia)
&
30. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Boston)

If they keep both, the names competing for these spots are: J.T. Miller, John Gibson, Tyler Biggs and other lesser Americans that Burke may fancy.  Lucas Lessio, Daniel Catenacci, Brett Ritchie and Boone Jenner may have chances here too.

There are many player's who will be picked in the 1st round whose name I didn't mention.  This is because there is widespread interest in these players and there are still many teams I struggle for a read on.  I'll have an updated mock draft before draft day.

No comments: